• Tourists are permitted to enter Mexico with their personal belongings and other necessary items for their stay in the country. The General Office of Customs distributes brochures that describe the items that are free of taxes.
  • When entering Mexico, you must declare all electronic equipment valued at more than 50 dollars. You might have to present a receipt for proof of the item’s worth.
  • Possession, sale, transportation or carrying weapons without permission is considered a federal offense in Mexico.
  • Importing weapons for hunting sports requires an updated permit. For more information consult “Hunting” Section.

For trips inside of the Baja California Peninsula, you don’t need to process a temporary importation of your vehicle. When you travel to continental Mexico by car, you must solicit a temporary importation permit for any vehicles.

What you need:
  • Vehicle registration or title.
  • Valid American or Canadian driver’s license.
  • Proof of citizenship: birth certificate, passport or foreign resident card.

If you plan on traveling to the rest of the country by car, visit the BANJERCITO website to fill out the pre-processing of temporary importation for your vehicle.

  • Go personally to BANJERCITO (Banco del Ejercito Mexicano) bank, located on all border entrance spots.
  • Fill out “”Temporary Importation Permit Form”.
  • Fill out “survey regarding return of vehicle” and comply with the corresponding deposit guarantee procedures.
  • “Tourist card survey.
  • Complete the security deposit of vehicle through the use of any 2 available methods: Credit card or bond. If you use a credit card you’ll have to pay around $29.70 USD for a temporary importation permit in all cases, you must leave a credit card voucher as a security deposit. If you choose bond, you must pay for the permit, which is over $200.00 USD for 1998 or older vehicle models, for vehicles between 1998 and 2003, it’s $300.00 USD and for 2004 models and above, $400.00 USD.
  • Important note: Others are allowed to drive the imported vehicle for a temporary time period, only if you carry the permit title with you.
    • You must go to BANJERCITO (Banco del Ejército Mexicano) and turn in the Temporary Import Permit as well as the “Vehicle Return Promise Agreement”.
    • You have to also turn in your Tourist card (FM-T) at the outbound Mexican Immigration office, if it ’s a multiple entry tourist card, you can return it before its expiration date.
    • Your vehicle security deposit or your bond agreement will be returned, depending on which you’ve used.
    • Make sure to have a valid driver's license and registration for your vehicle.
    • Car insurance is not mandatory but it's highly recommended. There are many companies along the USA - Mexico border that sell Mexican car insurance by the day, week or month. Keep in mind that most US insurance policies don't provide coverage while driving in Mexico.
    • Be aware that speed limits in Mexico are set in kilometers (1 mile =1.6 km.) for example speed limit on highways is 55 Miles per hour and within city limits it averages 25 miles per hour.
    • No drinking and driving.
    • It is a traffic violation to use a cellular phone while driving in the state of Baja California.
    • Always use your seatbelt.
    • Along certain Mexican roads and highways you will find military checkpoints where you may be subjected to a routine search. Please cooperate, be patient and before you know it, you will be on your way.
    • Do not advertise you are a visitor. Place maps, travel brochures and valuables in the glove compartment or trunk once you get to your destination. Carry wallets, checkbooks and purses with you.
    • Park in well-lighted, busy areas.
    • Whenever you stop overnight, remove bags and other valuables from the car and take them inside your room.
    • If your vehicle is stolen, you should immediately call our Tourist Assistance Hotline 078, they will direct you on how to go about filling a report with the Deputy DA Office (Ministerio Público). Just show any document that proves ownership of the stolen vehicle. The Deputy DA will take a report and open an investigation.

    Important notes: As of May 3rd, 2008 the City of Tijuana, Baja California, is enforcing new regulation that bans the use of tinted windows in all motor vehicles, excluding those that have manufactures tinted windows.

    Per the new rules, law enforcement officers can stop any vehicle that does not comply with this regulation and request the owner/driver to remove the unauthorized tinted film on the scene. Failure to comply can result in the vehicle being impounded and payment of a fine.

    For more information, please dial the Tourist Assistance Hotline 078, 7/24 from any cellular or conventional phone while in Baja California or dial 066 for emergency services, they can put you in contact with the State Secretariat of Tourism of Baja California.

    In Green Angels we guarantee your safety by highway routes of the country where we operate and provide support to the population in case of contingencies or natural disasters.


    If you are stopped by a police officer for a traffic violation in Tijuana, Rosarito Beach or Ensenada, you should always politely insist on a written citation that you could pay either at the police station or by mail.

    Tickets in the City of Tijuana can be paid by sending a check or money order made out to: H. Ayuntamiento de Tijuana, 416 West San Ysidro Blvd. Suite“L”, No.725, San Ysidro CA 92143.

    Tickets issued in Rosarito Beach, can be paid by sending a check or money order made out to: H. Ayuntamiento de Rosarito, P.O. Box 439016 San Ysidro, CA 92143-9016.

    Tickets issued in Ensenada can be paid by sending a check or money order made out to: Municipio de Ensenada, PMB 147 P.O. Box 189003.

    Tickets issued in Mexicali can be paid by sending a check or money order with ticket made out to: H. Ayuntamiento de Mexicali, P.B. 6027, 23 Paulin Ave., Calexico, Ca. 92231-2646.

    For the cities of San Felipe and Tecate, traffic fines must be paid at the police station.

    When faced with a fine that you consider unfair, you can contest the fine by filling an appeal (Recurso de Inconformidad), either in person or in writing, for a municipal judge to review. To do this, immediately go to the nearest municipal judge within the police station; if you need information on how to do this, call our Tourist Assistance Hotline 078.

    Important notes: The cost for traffic fines varies by city (fines are in Mexican Pesos).